Pflueger Governor Lure
The Pflueger Governor Lure was first introduced around 1892. This antique fishing lure was made by the Enterprise Manufacturing Company, of Akron Ohio. This fancy Pflueger Metal Spoon and minnow was given a series 792. The “Governor” was the Luminous version to its non luminous counterpart, “The Admiral”.
These lures were offered in the 1892 Pflueger lure catalog in three different sizes. The sizes were 7, 8, and 9. The Governor was constructed on a long wire shaft, at the rear of which was a trailing feathered treble hook to secure its prey. Moving forward it was followed by a painted and molded rubber composite minnow, which bore the resemblance of a real minnow even down to the red gills and fluted fins. On Each side of the wire through lure was a crimson red glass bead. Next, after the second bead we see a looped trace leader that has a single treble that is affixed at the end. The loop and the red glass bead atop and at the bottom of it allowing it some mobility to rotate freely moving up and down the shaft when retrieved. At the Apex of this great 19th century minnow rig we see what we as collectors refer to as a fancy blade, spinner or spoon. There were different designs available that adorned the in line rig. The ornate design or fancy blade we see here is called the Sea Shell Pattern blade.
No matter what […]